Emerald Ash Borer ReLeaf

Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is one of the biggest killers of Ash trees in Canada.

Since 2013, Tree Canada has been fighting the spread of EAB in Canada by partnering with municipalities in Ontario and Quebec and BioForest Technologies Inc.

Each year, we coordinate the selection process and distribution of TreeAzin, a natural registered product with very low environmental toxicity that helps stop the Emerald Ash Borer.

In 2017, Tree Canada is focussing our #OperationReLeaf Emerald Ash Borer initiative on the town of Beaconsfield, Québec. The 2017 selection process for Beaconsfield residents is now closed. For Beaconsfield residents who have already had their ash trees treated by a certified expert and registered with the city, the city already has all the necessary information and will be issuing your Tree Canada-supported rebate in autumn 2017.

Past communities to receive #OperationReLeaf EAB support from Tree Canada include:

  • Montréal, QC;

  • Gananoque, ON;

  • Mississippi Mills, ON;

  • Carleton Place, ON;

  • Joliette, QC;

  • Saint-Hyacinthe, QC;

  • Varennes, QC; and

  • Gatineau, QC.

2017 Partners:

 Bronze13.png    014c0926be075bcf1fdcdd512210076a_f1421.jpg download.png


What can I do?

For corporations and organizations:

If you are interested in joining us, please contact Tree Canada’s Corporate Partnership and Philanthropy Coordinator, by email at or by phone at 613-567-5545 ext. 232

For municipalities:

The best time to fight EAB is before or in the early stages of an outbreak in your area!

The 2018 #OperationReLeaf EAB program will be accepting applications soon. In the meantime, you can apply for one of Tree Canada’s other community Greening grants to replace Ash trees lost to EAB.

For individuals:

If ash trees in your area were lost to EAB, you can apply for a Tree Canada grant to have them replaced. We recommend our Edible Trees Program or our Greening Canada’s School Program as good options.

If you spot Emerald Ash Borer on your property or in your community, please contact your city officials, elected representatives or parks department and ask that they reach out to Tree Canada for assistance.